The Future of NEMMC

News and Announcements from the Northeast Mighty Mopar Admin Team!
Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin
Location: Dedham, but my classic Mopars are in North Brookfield, MA

The Future of NEMMC

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:15 pm

Hello, the 6 or so people who regularly read this forum and maybe the few others who find themselves here for some reason.

I'm just going to be honest:
There is not enough activity here for me to justify the existence of this website anymore, in my opinion.

I pay the webhosting every month and I am not sure the value is there anymore.
There have been 8 threads posted in since September.

Those who are active seem to have decided that I am the problem and the reason no one is active.

I'm not as active as I'd like to be, sure.
But there also isn't much of a reason for me to be here what with other priorities and life in the way and no one who is very active here anyway.

My father killed himself in January, 2017 at the age of 55.
He was a huge part of my life and did more than can really be described in the lives of my family.
He supported my car hobby in more ways than one and usually wrenched next to me.
Since that time, I've been hard at work balancing my own life and taking care of my widowed mom and my sister, who live an hour and a half away from me in a house they are constantly working to manage.
I am a young attorney at a busy law firm in downtown Boston with a new wife and a lot of responsibilities.
My time is spread very, very thin.

I made it to about 4 total car shows this year and a couple of Bass Pro Cruises that I arrived at late.
I drove the wagon about 10 total times.
Work and life are in my way - but I'm not going to apologize for that.
I can't apologize for prioritizing the things in my life that ARE my priorities.

With NEMMC and MassMopar before it:
I tried hard to give people somewhere to have a place to hang out on here on the internet and talk Mopars.
Somewhere they had been before. Somewhere familiar. Something simple.

I see the posts that I haven't been a good leader and that I can't make it to shows so I am the problem.
But even at our most active time we had about 30 people posting here regularly.
Where is the group to lead?

Why is it that I have to be the one to prop the whole site up?
Why can't others do outreach for the Club without my participation?
Why do I have to be the guy who is the reason the club exists?
I pay my own money to host the site. Is that not enough of a commitment?

My hope was that this Club would be something where I could get others involved to help lead and have meets.
I absolutely wanted to be involved in the process of having meets and shows and get-togethers.
I didn't realize though that I had to do most of it or else I would be called out and no one would come to anything without me there or would accuse me of not being a good leader because I didn't make it to events.

I was clear from the first time I met with the members of MassMopar - I wanted to run the site and help be part of a leadership group.
I wanted others to be part of a group who led the site and helped come up with ideas, meets, shows, activities.
I was very clear about that.
Others signed on. But they didn't really follow through.

When we changed to NEMMC and met up in Natick, I was very clear:
I wanted HELP to lead this group. To be part of a GROUP who ran it.
I had ideas, but I lacked the time to do everything.
We agreed to try to work on it together.
Jeff and I both tried to do this a bit - but we didn't get anywhere.
I couldn't find a dealer to host a meet. Jeff wanted to host one at his house which is in NH. Not everyone could make it there easily.
We didn't have great communication between the two of us.
Nothing else really happened.

Want my honest opinion?

We tried.
It didn't work out.
This place is dead.

People pointing the finger at me as the problem - go ahead. But take a hard look at the 3 pointing back to you.
I never signed on to be the savior of MassMopar or NEMMC.
I signed on to be the guy who ran the website and someone who tried to help get things going.
If I had known that I created other expectations, I would never have agreed to do anything.
In the end, though, no one cared enough to participate consistently.

So now, as things sit, without anyone really active on the site on a regular basis and with others pointing the finger at me and calling me the problem:
I am inclined to have December, 2017 be the last month of the site.
I am inclined to no longer pay for a site where I am supposedly the problem.
Where the lack of participation by others is my fault.
Where I am supposed to be the one who does everything, who IS the site.

Let's just wrap up the forum aspect of it.
We'll keep the group on Facebook and we can chat there.
If you don't have it, I suggest you sign up, it is easy to use and free and you can participate as much or as little as you want to.
It really is a pretty good platform for car discussion - they even have free photo hosting.

I'd like to keep in touch with all of you and talk Mopars, in person, by phone, or virtually.
I just can't keep this site running when I'm supposedly what is wrong with it.

If someone is interested in running the forum themselves, then I am all for it. PM me. Everything related to it is yours for free including some training on how it generally works and the name of my contact who helps me "maintain" it.
Just be warned - it is a rough position to hold with very high expectations.
Ryan - Northeast Mighty Mopar Site Administrator
1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon | 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 Coupe | 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger
2002 Intrepid ES | 2004 300M Special | 2001 Concorde LXi

MassMopar Moderator

Re: The Future of NEMMC

Postby 68383 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:41 pm

Ryan, thanks for all you've done. I'm glad we met, and that we're in touch.

From me, there's no finger-pointing in your direction.

Thanks again for the time, effort, funding, etc. Very much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
68383 / Dave

Current Mopars- 69 Super Bee- 522, 4 speed, 95 Ram- 360, auto, 4wd
Prior- 68 Charger, 72 Demon, 72 & 75 Darts, 73 Challenger, 74 Scamp

Speeling mistakes do to iPhone.

dge467

Postby dge467 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:38 pm

Thanks for all that you have done on this site to keep it going Ryan! It is a bummer that it didn't work out as we hope it would have. It was nice meeting you and your friend when you came by the house.

It was also nice meeting some other members at different shows and get togethers.

Take care .

torredcuda

Postby torredcuda » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:38 am

Ryan, I don`t think myself or anyone else ever tried to blame you 100% for the sites failure, as you said you just wanted to help and it takes a lot more than just one or two to of us to make it successful, I`m sorry if I made you feel that way. I do apprreciate all you have done running and paying for the site but I stand by my statement that the owner/administrator needs to have a fair amount of involvement if it is to work. That said I would like to see the site continue and would be willing to help run, maintain and support the site but would like/ned some help as I`m not very computer savvy and as always finances are tight. If one or more people are interested in also helping run it I would like to give it a shot, anyone?

Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin
Location: Dedham, but my classic Mopars are in North Brookfield, MA

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:14 am

68383 wrote:Ryan, thanks for all you've done. I'm glad we met, and that we're in touch.

From me, there's no finger-pointing in your direction.

Thanks again for the time, effort, funding, etc. Very much appreciated.

I am glad we met as well, Dave and that we can continue to be in touch.
I appreciate your efforts to get this Club going as well.

dge467 wrote:Thanks for all that you have done on this site to keep it going Ryan! It is a bummer that it didn't work out as we hope it would have. It was nice meeting you and your friend when you came by the house.

It was also nice meeting some other members at different shows and get togethers.

Take care .

You too, Jeff.
We are certainly kindred spirits.
Hopefully we can reconnect again at shows or even just some night.
I will PM you my phone number so we can keep in touch.

torredcuda wrote:Ryan, I don`t think myself or anyone else ever tried to blame you 100% for the sites failure, as you said you just wanted to help and it takes a lot more than just one or two to of us to make it successful, I`m sorry if I made you feel that way. I do apprreciate all you have done running and paying for the site but I stand by my statement that the owner/administrator needs to have a fair amount of involvement if it is to work. That said I would like to see the site continue and would be willing to help run, maintain and support the site but would like/ned some help as I`m not very computer savvy and as always finances are tight. If one or more people are interested in also helping run it I would like to give it a shot, anyone?

Jeff, regardless of what you "think" you said or did - that's nearly exactly what you said - that my failure to be involved is the reason the site isn't successful.
If a site is only successful because the owner/administrator is 100% involved all the time - then why have it at all?
If a forum cannot run independently with other members continuing to actively post even in the absence of the owner/admin - why have it exist?
If a forum cannot have a leadership and member structure that keeps it humming along no matter what - it has failed in its original objective and in my opinion is not worth it anymore.

I stand by my statements here and above.
I am happy to have someone else work as the administrator and pay for the site - but it will no longer be me as of the end of this month.
I will still own the domain - I believe through the end of April.
Once that expires I am not planning to renew it.

If the site continues I would be happy to be a participant in whatever way I can while I continue to manage the rest of my life.
And if it ends, keep it going as a Facebook group.
They're easy to manage and while somewhat inferior to forums - easy for people to participate in and be a member of.
Look at how many members the Facebook group has versus the regular posters on this forum.

No matter what else happens, I hope those of us who are active here can keep in touch.
I will be putting a G3 Hemi into the wagon this winter and would love to have the group of you who helped me debate about buying the car originally and helped me find it in the first place (thanks Brian!) see its progress.
Ryan - Northeast Mighty Mopar Site Administrator
1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon | 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 Coupe | 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger
2002 Intrepid ES | 2004 300M Special | 2001 Concorde LXi

MassMopar Moderator

Postby 68383 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:23 pm

After some thought on this over the past few weeks, I've decided to remove myself from NEMMC completely. I've dropped the Facebook group and intend to unregister here by the end of the year. For those who want to keep in touch, feel free to drop me a PM. For those who don't, no offense taken.

My decision isn't because of a particular person. There's not a particular person at fault. The different iterations of the group just hasn't been quite the experience that I had hoped it would be.

It's an interesting dynamic- an internet community that also meets in-person from time to time. I don't think the group approach that Ted had in place works without someone like Ted as the glue. And we haven't really aspired to be a club, with people taking on different responsibilities, so we get what we currently have on our hands- inactivity, frustration, etc.

'Nuff said. Happy holidays, and happy Moparing to all!

68383 / Dave

Current Mopars- 69 Super Bee- 522, 4 speed, 95 Ram- 360, auto, 4wd
Prior- 68 Charger, 72 Demon, 72 & 75 Darts, 73 Challenger, 74 Scamp

Speeling mistakes do to iPhone.

torredcuda

Postby torredcuda » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:34 am

Hate to see you or anyone go but that`s obviously your decision to make. If this site doesn`t continue I will still keep the FB page going so that us Mopar people have a way of communicating to post pics, buy and sell parts and plan meet ups and cruises etc. I do try and post on Moparts and a few other sites when we have an event planned to get the word out forthose that don`t do FB and I have some peoples e-mails as well. My main goal when I got involved in this was to bring the local Mopar community together but I guess I failed, at least in regards to this site. Hope to see everone and their cars next season.

Return to “Northeast Mighty Mopar Site News”