Just passing along a positive experience

Just Wanna Chat? This is the place!
MOPAR_AMC_FAN

Just passing along a positive experience

Postby MOPAR_AMC_FAN » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:35 pm

My 96 Ram has about 167K on its 318. It runs pretty well, but I was getting some pinging under load, especially punching it in 1st gear. I figured it was due to carbon buildup on the pistons and not timing issues. I talked to the mechanic at work and he said to try two things; run super and add some Lucas product to the gas. So I found some Lucas top end engine cleaner at the store. I filled my tank with Shell 93 octane and added the appropriate amount of Lucas product (3oz per 10 gallons of gas). By the middle of the first tank, I could tell the engine was running better. I'm now on my second tank and it seems to be working great. The pinging seems to be almost completely gone and the power overall is great. I'm planning on running the Lucas product until the bottle runs out (it's 32oz), then on the next fill up, try going back to regular if the pinging is gone.

Sooooo, just wanted to throw out a positive comment for the Lucas top end cleaner. It actually seems to work pretty well. ;)

moparmike

Re: Just passing along a positive experience

Postby moparmike » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:23 pm

I love the Lucas stuff, use them all the time in my cars.
70 'Cuda|89 Shelby Daytona T-Top|63 Belvedere

ricks_RR

Postby ricks_RR » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am

i have been using lucas for awhile and it works .i use lucas in the green bottle it is gas additive it slows the jelling of the gas in the road runner .this new gas SUCKS :o :o

ricks_RR

MPerry
MassMopar Moderator

Postby MPerry » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:31 pm

The Lucas PS additive is pretty good too. ;)

Dgc333

Postby Dgc333 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:42 pm

I hope it works out for you. If it doesn't, those engines were notorious for the bottom plate on the intake manifold developing a vacuum leak which results in oil being drawn into the intake. This csysrs your detonation.

The fix is to remove the intake and replace the gasket on the cover plate.

Return to “Shoot the Breeze”