My Sassy Grass Green, 318-powered 71 Scamp

Post Your Mopar Project Here!
MOPAR_AMC_FAN

My Sassy Grass Green, 318-powered 71 Scamp

Postby MOPAR_AMC_FAN » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:47 pm

Wasn't sure where to post updates on my Scamp, so I thought I'd post up here while I work on it. I picked this car up two weeks ago and got a really good deal. As the post title says, it's a 71 Scamp powered by a 318/auto and painted factory FJ6 Sassy Grass Green. The front fenders seem to have been replaced before as they are from a 72 and are a slightly different shade than the rest of the car. I haven't taken any pictures underneath yet, but as far as I can tell it's VERY solid. The floors, rockers, rear quarters, etc. all seem to be pretty rust free. Another bonus I got was the original bill of sale from when the lady bought it brand new (trading in a 68 Barracuda!). Also a purchase order for where she brought it back six months later and had A/C dealer installed.

When I got the car, it wasn't running due to the Rochester 2BBL carb being off and disassembled for a rebuild. I was also told the brake booster leaked, so the brakes didn't work and that it needed a muffler. I was planning on either putting the 2BBL back together or just swapping on a 4BBL to get the car going. I've only rebuilt one carb before (a Carter 1BBL!), so when a friend came over today that's rebuilt a few more than me and offered to put it back together, I said, "Sure!". A couple hours later, we had an assembled carb. We put the carb back on, added some anti-freeze as the radiator was a little low, checked things over, and tried to fire it up. It would turn over and start with some starting fluid, but not run. Hey, do we have any gas? The gas gauge read empty, so we put in a few gallons and turned the key till we had fuel at the carb. A squirt of starting fluid and it fired right up. A little fiddling with the carb and it ran pretty well! Quiet, too. It could probably use a new muffler and can definitely use a tailpipe, but it was still very quiet. Now if only it had brakes...

Checking the master, we found no fluid in the rear chamber. After adding fluid, I pumped the brakes as my friend watched for leaks. Nothing. He checks the master and it still has the same level of fluid. Hmm... Was the master ever bled? As I pumped the pedal, he let some air out of the master. Hey, we have pedal pressure! A little test movement and the car stops! Hold the pedal and it doesn't sink down. I think we're okay! Next was a test drive in the driveway so we could add air to the tires. All seems well. Add some air to the tires, clean the windshield, and we're ready for a test drive.

I can't believe it! I didn't think I'd be driving this much before next spring! Next stop, the gas station. Luckily the gas station is only about two miles from my house. I filled it up with some premium and all seems to be okay. Temp gauge works, fuel gauge seems to work, alt gauge works, the horn, well... Hey, let's try the highway. Yes, I was feeling adventurous. Only one exit, but I hit about 70 MPH and everything felt okay. Back home, pop the hood, and no leaks or anything. Success!

So, not sure what's next. I know the car still needs to be washed BADLY. I also might try getting rid of the points for a Pertronix setup or something. I still need to register the car, but I might wait to do that until next spring. I also need to fix the non-functioning horn and wiper washers, change the oil, maybe the plugs, etc. Here's some pics I took today. Until next time...

dge467

Re: My Sassy Grass Green, 318-powered 71 Scamp

Postby dge467 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:17 am

Great looking Scamp! Glad you found yourself a nice Mopar project!

Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin
Location: Dedham, but my classic Mopars are in North Brookfield, MA

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:25 pm

Awesome, Brian! Sounds like success all around!
That is a great looking color and I can't wait to follow your progress!
Ryan - Northeast Mighty Mopar Site Administrator
1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon | 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 Coupe | 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger
2002 Intrepid ES | 2004 300M Special | 2001 Concorde LXi

bear

Postby bear » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:04 pm

Like I said in the other thread . She definitely looks solid ! The Cragers you were thinking of might look kinnda sharp . I wish I had a set for my Dart . I'd put them on in a hart beat .

MOPAR_AMC_FAN

Postby MOPAR_AMC_FAN » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:51 pm

That's for the nice comments! Unfortunately I missed out on the Cragars :cry: . I'm picking up some SBP rallye wheels instead. Just waiting for them to arrive. The wheels are redone and come with decent trim rings. I also found someone selling some 70/71 SBP center caps for a decent price. I'm not sure if they're 70 or 71 caps, but I don't really care either way. I just prefer the early caps over the later caps. I also picked up a Pertronix Ignitor setup and Flamethrower coil. They'll go on when I do a tune-up on it soon. Unless it snows... :shock:

422Stroker

Postby 422Stroker » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:07 pm

First car was a 74 Scamp. Awesome looking ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MassMopar Moderator

Postby 68383 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:03 pm

I had a 74 with less than 30k on the odometer. Grandma /6 survivor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
68383 / Dave

Current Mopars- 69 Super Bee- 522, 4 speed, 95 Ram- 360, auto, 4wd
Prior- 68 Charger, 72 Demon, 72 & 75 Darts, 73 Challenger, 74 Scamp

Speeling mistakes do to iPhone.

MOPAR_AMC_FAN

Postby MOPAR_AMC_FAN » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:50 pm

Howdy everyone! Thought I'd post an update on how the Scamp is coming along. First off, the horn issue is all set. Guess I wasn't hitting the horn button in the correct spot. DOH! Works fine if you press more towards the inner edge of the horn buttons. Next, the windshield washer wasn't functioning. I found Anco makes a direct replacement for not much cash. Sure, it fits just like the stock unit, but the grounding is a little different. Not a problem. Got it wired in and the washer now works. The wipers still don't "park" correctly, but I haven't looked into this yet. I heard it could be a ground issue. I did remove the wiper arms and reposition them as they sat up to high on the windshield when in the park position. They're pretty good height-wise now. I still need to check out the brakes by pulling the drums, but nothing seems to be leaking out from the bottom of the drums, so I think I'm okay there. But, I found the master cylinder does appear to be leaking from where the rod goes in, so I ordered a replacement master cylinder and am just awaiting for it to arrive. In the meantime, I thought one of the front brake lines didn't look so great and found a front brake line kit in stainless steel for $70, so I got one of those as well. I'll put the lines and M/C all in together and check the rest of the brakes at that point. A little bleeding of the brakes and the brakes should be good. I did take the car for a short ride and found that it wasn't charging. I tried a different (used) alternator and had the same issue. I then realized it had an external regulator (which I'm not used to at all), so I replaced the regulator, installed the original alt and the charging system is good. Lastly, I could stand the very dirty car no longer! I spent a couple hours yesterday giving it the first car wash of the season. I didn't go crazy, just did the outside, but it looks MUCH better. I need to clean it again and get the door jambs and such, but at least it looks presentable now. I think that's about it for the moment. Hoping to have the brakes sorted out and maybe the rally wheels on by Friday night so I can bring the car on Saturday morning to the coffee and donut MassMopar meeting. :)

Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin
Location: Dedham, but my classic Mopars are in North Brookfield, MA

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:14 pm

Sweet!
Progress is always good!
Can't wait to see it - sadly I won't have the wagon you found for me, the front end is all ripped apart.
Ryan - Northeast Mighty Mopar Site Administrator
1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon | 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 Coupe | 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger
2002 Intrepid ES | 2004 300M Special | 2001 Concorde LXi

MOPAR_AMC_FAN

Postby MOPAR_AMC_FAN » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:41 pm

I'm going to try my hardest to be there Saturday morning with the Scamp.

Return to “Mopar Project Showcase”