Sneke_Eyez's 1969 Dodge Coronet Deluxe Wagon

Post Your Mopar Project Here!
Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin
Location: Dedham, but my classic Mopars are in North Brookfield, MA

Re: Sneke_Eyez's 1969 Dodge Coronet Deluxe Wagon

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:30 pm

Eh, I know how to weld, but I'm a lawyer, not a body man.
I won't farm the car out, if that's what you're asking. I'll do the work, or I'll part it out and scrap/sell the remainder of the body. I won't pay someone to do a car for me, its just not how I am (and I don't have the money for that anyway). I'd really like to have a car I've done my own work on.
Ideally, I'd like this to be the car I teach myself some fab work on. Its a just a low-optioned wagon, so if it isn't perfect, nobody is going to really notice. Or, well, they might notice, but they won't care because its not a 1 of 1 Roadrunner.

One thing I certainly try to be about cars is realistic. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't think I could save it myself.
I don't think I quite realized how bad the torsion bar x member was, but I have a replacement in a box in the background (It says AMD on it) of several of those pictures. I'll undo the torsion bars, drill out the old one, discard it, and weld in the new one. It'll be a good primer since I need to do the same with my Coupe, which I would prefer to do the hard and perfect way, as opposed to this car, which I'm going to try to do quicker.

And yes, someone has been in it before, its been repainted and bondo'ed in the quarters and fenders, and the floors have been "patched". But, its work that seems fairly "see-through," meaning, I could tell what had been done to it the first time I saw it, so that aspect didn't bother me too much.

Most importantly, though, I can part it out and get more than what I paid for it with no trouble. That's the only thing that made me pull the trigger in the first place.

I do appreciate the perspective, though, bear!

Thanks for the tips on the rear end, guys. I'm betting its an 8 1/4 from the research I've done. The car has the fender tag and I'll bet there's a build sheet in it somewhere too, so I'll look into it more.
As far as the trans goes, I won't be around the car for a couple of weeks, so when I'm around it again I'll take a better picture. I've also found a "spotter's guide" online, so I think I know what the "bump-out" you mentioned looks like, Brian.

Most of all, I didn't pay much at all for it, so keeping that in mind, it's not as bad as you might think, despite how bad those pictures look. ;)
Ryan - Northeast Mighty Mopar Site Administrator
1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon | 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 Coupe | 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger
2002 Intrepid ES | 2004 300M Special | 2001 Concorde LXi

MassMopar Moderator

Postby 68383 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:45 pm

That was an epic reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
68383 / Dave

Current Mopars- 69 Super Bee- 522, 4 speed, 95 Ram- 360, auto, 4wd
Prior- 68 Charger, 72 Demon, 72 & 75 Darts, 73 Challenger, 74 Scamp

Speeling mistakes do to iPhone.

bear

Postby bear » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:40 pm

I'm glad that it sounds like that you didn't take what I said the wrong way . because in "no way" was I putting your wagon down . I LIKE IT ! I just didn't know what your skill level was and how much if any you were going to farm out . I think your right , about using this car to perfect your skill's . As I think you know already , I think almost anything can be brought back to life . Hell you should see the 84 Ramcharger that I'm helping a friend with . It hasn't been on the road sense 94 . both quarters are rotted , the drivers side's been hit from the front fender to the rear wheel , the inside was full of parts (not for the truck) all the way up to the roof , someone stole parts off of it when we weren't looking , etc. . We just got it running about a week ago and I gotta tell yah , that lil 318 purr's . I can only imagine how it would run with a full tune in it . lol So I say roll up your sleeve's and go for it , and you'll be tooling down the road before you know it . :D

Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:32 pm

Well, I guess I've made a commitment to this beast. :D
I pick up two fenders, a battery tray, and some odds and ends for it on Sunday in Schenectady, NY. Guy has a 69 Super Bee and a 71 Roadrunner, and he sounds as Mopar-blue as they come, so I'm looking forward to checking out his cars and his barn full of parts!

The 318 seems to have leaked out nasty coolant all over the tar its parked on, so I'm thinking I'm going to have to pull the damn thing and do freeze plugs. :(
I'm almost thinking of pulling the 318 out and not putting it back in, since lately I've been eyeing a mid eighties (but not EFI) 360 a buddy has on a stand in his garage. :o
We'll see, one expensive weekend at a time!
1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon | 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 Coupe | 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger

ricks_RR

Postby ricks_RR » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:20 am

well it great you found the guy hope to hear from him on this site .we need more mopar guys so the partys will be bigger

ricks_RR

bear

Postby bear » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:21 pm

The 360 doesn't sound like a bad idea ! The only thing you'd need for the swap would be the 360 mount's and a different converter . How much does he want for it ?

Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:44 pm

You know, bear, the answer is too darn much.
You know how we all have those friends who always have "car stuff"? Well he has had this motor on a stand for a year or so now, he got it in a trade for some Bronco parts and at the time planned on putting it into a Ramcharger he had briefly. He's a Ford guy, though, and sold the Ramcharger almost as soon as he got the motor, and it has sat since.
Since we're pretty decent friends and all, I figured if I threw him $400, he'd bite. Instead, he said he wants at least $700 for it, since it was "all rebuilt by the last guy who owned it". I tell you what, it doesn't look like it was all rebuilt by the last guy who owned it, that's for sure. That extra $300 is money I'd like to put in other places in the car.

So, I think for now I've redirected to the 318 that is in the car.
I'm going to attempt to get the car moving as soon as it warms up a bit (hopefully mid-February it won't be in the teens during the day anymore?!) and pull the motor out of it so I can freshen it up before spring is fully here. We'll see if I can make that happen. If not, summer project, I guess.

I can tell you that I'm still on the hunt for parts, that much is true.
I've now got a nice set of fenders waiting for it, along with a set of police steelies and police caps, the Edelbrock carb I picked up and an Edelbrock Performer 318 intake. I also bought a car cover for it since its sitting outside and I don't like cleaning it off or having snow on it.

Since the wagon rear end isn't an 8 3/4, I've been hunting for a decently priced one on CL.

Does anyone have thoughts on me putting this rear end under the wagon:

mopar 8 3/4 rear end b body - $175 (fitchburg)
out of 1974 dodge charger se b- body, complete drum to drum, 271 non posi. 175.00

http://worcester.craigslist.org/pts/4301602894.html

I would imagine it needs to be gone through, but for $175 it seems like a decent deal and its complete. I don't care right now if its posi or not, but I wouldn't mind having the stronger rear end under the car, especially since I was planning to go through the rear end that is currently in the car anyway. Might as well pay to rehab the rear end only once. Besides, I'm going to redo the brake lines on the car anyway, so I might as well redo them at the same time as I'm changing the rear end.

bear

Postby bear » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:56 am

To bad that swap would have been nice but $700 for a non documented 360 is way to much . You can kinnda tell if a motor has been opened up at all . Sound's like we have the same "friends" . lol You should tell him not to worry though . Your still friends and there will always be a Mopar around to bail him out if he gets stuck or brakes down . lol Honestly the 318 isn't a bad motor at all , so if you end up keeping it that's not necessarily a bad thing . I've had enough of them . There one of the most under rated engines out there . Remind me to tell you about the lil 70 318 Fury III I had waaaaaay back when and the built 69 Camaro I came across one night . If your 318 is tight then what you could do is just re gasket and seal it , brass freeze plugs , oil pump , timing chain for sure , and if you have the money throw a mild cam and lifter set in it . Maybe something like an RV cam . That would give you plenty of bottom end and power while helping out your fuel millage . I like the idea of putting the 8 3/4 in it ! You could keep the 2:71's in it for now and then later on when you find a nice set of 3:55's for it for the right price then all you'd have to do is swap the chuck . Personally I'd go for it . Maybe even see if you could talk him down a little on the price . Remember "cash" talk's . :D

#1Satellite

Postby #1Satellite » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:57 pm

To bad for the rust , gonna be a killer car .

MassMopar Moderator

Postby 68383 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:11 pm

But Ryan, you're abandoning this project in favor of the one your road tripping in, right?

Speeling mistakes do two iPhone
68383 / Dave

Current Mopars- 69 Super Bee- 522, 4 speed, 95 Ram- 360, auto, 4wd
Prior- 68 Charger, 72 Demon, 72 & 75 Darts, 73 Challenger, 74 Scamp

Speeling mistakes do to iPhone.

Return to “Mopar Project Showcase”