Sneke_Eyez's 1969 Dodge Coronet Deluxe Wagon

Post Your Mopar Project Here!
Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin
Location: Dedham, but my classic Mopars are in North Brookfield, MA

Re: Sneke_Eyez's 1969 Dodge Coronet Deluxe Wagon

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:05 pm

Yep, sadly. I just don't have the time to "save" this one. So it'll be up for sale as soon as I get the red one home and make sure all of the unique wagon trim is in it and in better condition than the blue one.
If I can't sell it I'll part it out.

Actually, I think I've decided to paint the red one this color eventually - I really like the light blue.
Ryan - Northeast Mighty Mopar Site Administrator
1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon | 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 Coupe | 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger
2002 Intrepid ES | 2004 300M Special | 2001 Concorde LXi

bear

Postby bear » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:45 am

Sneke_Eyez wrote:Yep, sadly. I just don't have the time to "save" this one. So it'll be up for sale as soon as I get the red one home and make sure all of the unique wagon trim is in it and in better condition than the blue one.
If I can't sell it I'll part it out.

Actually, I think I've decided to paint the red one this color eventually - I really like the light blue.

As much as I'd like to save them all . I think this is the best move for you Ryan . At least with the Plymouth you can drive it and enjoy it right away while your fixing it up . The blue don't sound like a bad idea . Will we see a spray gun in your hands in the near future ? :D

Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:16 am

We'll see, Phil! The paint on the red wagon is rough. I'm actually thinking of plastidipping the car this summer.
My buddy has been itching to fix the paint on his beater 1997 Mitsubishi Exclipse GS-X and has been thinking of spraying plasti-dip on it with one of dipyourcar's kits:

We're considering buying one of their kits together to get the sprayer and then we'll spray his car and my wagon!

For anyone who doesn't know what plastidipping a car is, a cursory search here will show you some amazing stuff you can do with it: www.dipyourcar.com

I'm considering one of their blues or their intense teal for the wagon, so not exactly the same as the blue wagon, but when it does eventually get paint I think I'm going in the light blue direction!
1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon | 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 Coupe | 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger

bear

Postby bear » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:08 am

I don't know ? I can see a lot of good application for this stuff . But I have my reservation's about using it on a hole car that I might be painting later on . Like , How easy will that stuff come off after a couple of year's of being baked on ? Especially out of all the nooks and crannies . Or , If you have any problem areas like a little rust that you missed . I bet that would end up making it a hole worse . If you do end up trying it let me know . I'm kinda curious . Like I said I can see a few applications were I wouldn't mind trying it like wheels or maybe if I wanted to try a stripe or a graphic design on something .

MassMopar Moderator

Postby 68383 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:46 am

Words from the wise.

I'd try something smaller before doing a whole car.

Speeling mistakes do two iPhone
68383 / Dave

Current Mopars- 69 Super Bee- 522, 4 speed, 95 Ram- 360, auto, 4wd
Prior- 68 Charger, 72 Demon, 72 & 75 Darts, 73 Challenger, 74 Scamp

Speeling mistakes do to iPhone.

Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Thu May 01, 2014 1:08 pm

bear wrote:I don't know ? I can see a lot of good application for this stuff . But I have my reservation's about using it on a hole car that I might be painting later on . Like , How easy will that stuff come off after a couple of year's of being baked on ? Especially out of all the nooks and crannies . Or , If you have any problem areas like a little rust that you missed . I bet that would end up making it a hole worse . If you do end up trying it let me know . I'm kinda curious . Like I said I can see a few applications were I wouldn't mind trying it like wheels or maybe if I wanted to try a stripe or a graphic design on something .

Phil,

I think the thing you're missing about it that it is liquid rubber.
If you lay on enough coats, it peels off quite easily. I'm not planning on 100% jambing the car with the stuff (although there are plenty of people on dipyourcar.com that do!), so I don't expect to run into issues regarding getting it out of nooks and crannies.

I also have watched a bunch of videos related to rust and using it over it. Believe it or not, it actually will protect rust as it isn't porous when you use a few coats. Now rust under the dip would certainly get worse, but that happens with paint as well.

I really think this stuff is the solution for someone looking for a cheapo paint job on a cruiser car. Its available in a rainbow of colors, it sprays on with an electric sprayer that is easy enough to use for the do it yourselfer, and if you don't like the results, you peel it off and move on!

I don't know when I'll do it, probably not until I've had the time to patch the quarters (though the bad fenders will probably still be on it since I don't plan to replace those for a while).

I helped a friend paint the wheels on one of his cars with one of the spray cans of the stuff. It goes on easily and covers well. I'm planning on blasting the cop wheels I got from Brian (our resident AMC fan!) and painting them with it first.

The other thing about spraying dip is that you spray down one basic color first as a base coat (usually either black or white), make sure that looks good, and then spray the color over it. It allows you to do a job in stages, make corrections as you need to, etc. before you spray on the color you want to use (which is the most expensive part of the whole job once you own the sprayer.)

I'm considering a couple of different color options for the wagon now, but I'll really think about it when I get it home and can picture a color on it with it in front of me, but how cool would the wagon look in a pearl purple like this?

or an orange like this?

I'm going to try it out as an experiment on some elements of my 2002 Intrepid first. Once I've worked with it on that I'll try doing the whole wagon.

Greg55_99

Postby Greg55_99 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Hey Attorney Sneke. Didn't I see this wagon in somebodies front yard heading into North Brookfield the other day? Looks like she needs a little TLC.

Greg

Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:57 pm

That's my parents' house, Greg. Not really their front yard, but their side lot.
And yes, it needs some work - that's for sure.

It should be up for sale soon - if I had to guess, after the first thaw of next year, but if I get the time, before it snows.
I'm going to take a few small items off of it for the red wagon. Then I'm going to send it on its way.

Return to “Mopar Project Showcase”