Dirty Gas

Post your Mopar restoration and repair questions and info here!
meangene83

Dirty Gas

Postby meangene83 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:55 pm

1973 plymouth roadrunner, 400 cid, 727 auto, edelbrock 4 brl carb.
So I have a fuel tank that is full of crud. Upon filling up the tank and peering in the filler neck, I could see all kinds of crap floating around in the tank.
This explained why the car had been idling rough and giving me fuel related problems.
The tank was "new" and installed by Previous Owner. Problem is PO was a hack, and most likely did not replace the Sender, sock etc...

So I have on the way, a new tank, sender unit, sending unit filter sock, new locking ring and seal and a new fuel pump.

Here is the problem...

I am trying not to replace the fuel lines. What can I expect in the way of crud being in the fuel lines and how should I go about cleaning them?

It was recommended to me to , get some carb cleaner and spray it into the fuel line, then blow compressed air thru the line, while at the other end of the fuel line there is a bucket with some rags to catch any crud. They said to keep repeating this till the bucket at the other end comes out clean.
Sounds like a good plan but I was hoping to hear any other tricks and other TIPS relating to a major fuel system changeover.

A side note, the fuel vapor separtor manifold above the fuel tank? What should I do with this?

Thank you for sharing any wisdom. I will probably tackle this in the coming week.

Gene

moparmike

Dirty Gas

Postby moparmike » Wed May 27, 2015 10:33 am

I would do exactly what the other person recommend to about blowing the lines out, there really is no other way short of replacing the lines. Be sure to replace your fuel filter too. As far as the vapor separator, just reuse it. It doesn't cost you any horsepower and it keeps any explosive fuel vapors where they belong.
70 'Cuda|89 Shelby Daytona T-Top|63 Belvedere

MassMopar Moderator

Re: Dirty Gas

Postby 68383 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:54 pm

Yeah, blow them out

Speeling mistakes do too iPhone
68383 / Dave

Current Mopars- 69 Super Bee- 522, 4 speed, 95 Ram- 360, auto, 4wd
Prior- 68 Charger, 72 Demon, 72 & 75 Darts, 73 Challenger, 74 Scamp

Speeling mistakes do to iPhone.

Superbee500

Postby Superbee500 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:17 pm

Blow out the lines and you should be ok

Good luck
Kevin

meangene83

Postby meangene83 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:50 pm

Thanks guys.

Do you think there is any chance the vapor line from the canister back to the fuel tank has any crud that is making its way into the tank?

I am debating whether or not I have to flush that line also.

moparmike

Dirty Gas

Postby moparmike » Wed May 27, 2015 11:37 pm

It's possible but I wouldn't think so. Typically the flow runs from the tank to the canister and from the canister to the carb but it couldn't hurt to blow it out anyway. If anything you may find some in the line from the canister to the carb. Sometimes the charcoal inside the canister comes "loose" and gets sucked up to the carb.
70 'Cuda|89 Shelby Daytona T-Top|63 Belvedere

Return to “Restoration & Repair Shop”