Engine Swap Slant 6 to small block

Post your Mopar restoration and repair questions and info here!
torredcuda

Re: Engine Swap Slant 6 to small block

Postby torredcuda » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:07 pm

Sneke_Eyez wrote:
stroked340 wrote:You guys putting down the holley..do you know how to tune them??..i'll bet you don't :roll: :roll: i had a Edelbrock on one of my dusters when i bought it guess where it ended up..that right in the trash where they belong,from a performance standpoint they come no where near what you'll get out of a properly tune holley or in my case Quickfuel...

I don't race my cars, I drive my cars, and I don't want something that is so finicky it requires me to be constantly messing with the carb.
That's the definition of something that doesn't work very well - something that requires tons of effort to make properly work on a regular basis.

My Edelbrock makes plenty of power with no problems. Power isn't everything.

It`s only the initial tuning that`s required, as long as you don`t make any other changes a Holley will never need fiddling with once it`s set. Aren`t you building a big engine for your wagon? If power isn`t everything why not keep the 318?

Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin
Location: Dedham, but my classic Mopars are in North Brookfield, MA

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:34 pm

Power is something, but not everything. Handling and road feel, those are almost everything. But I don't generally play on the drag strip, only on the highway and back roads.
And the 505 comes with a Demon (I know that's a Holley knockoff!), which I will use as long as I can get it tuned and get it to run properly.

I'm not against Holleys unless I'm the one buying the carb - here I won't be.

My Dart came with a Holley 700 (it might have been a 600) on it that was supposed to be creme de la creme, brand new and freshly tuned, etc., and all I was ever doing was messing with it, and it never ran right.
My buddy has had a bunch of Chebby pickups with various 350s, 454s, etc, and all he ever runs is Holleys, and all he is ever doing is messing with them.
Ryan - Northeast Mighty Mopar Site Administrator
1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon | 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 Coupe | 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger
2002 Intrepid ES | 2004 300M Special | 2001 Concorde LXi

moparmike

Postby moparmike » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:04 pm

I've had my Holley on my car for 20+yrs and never mess with it. 20k miles too.
70 'Cuda|89 Shelby Daytona T-Top|63 Belvedere

bear

Postby bear » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:32 pm

stroked340 wrote:You guys putting down the holley..do you know how to tune them??..i'll bet you don't :roll: :roll: i had a Edelbrock on one of my dusters when i bought it guess where it ended up..that right in the trash where they belong,from a performance standpoint they come no where near what you'll get out of a properly tune holley or in my case Quickfuel...

I've got over 30 years of building , racing and driving these type's of vehicles . I think I know how to tune a carb . Maybe it wasn't that eddy you threw out , it was the person working on the car ?

bear

Postby bear » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:33 pm

torredcuda wrote:Yup, Holleys are infinitely tunable but you need to know how and spend the time to do it.

Yup , time after time after time . :D

bear

Postby bear » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:37 pm

moparmike wrote:I've had my Holley on my car for 20+yrs and never mess with it. 20k miles too.

Then your lucky , because Holley's "don't" like to sit .

moparmike

Postby moparmike » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:39 pm

It hasn't sat much the last 8yrs.
70 'Cuda|89 Shelby Daytona T-Top|63 Belvedere

bear

Postby bear » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:47 pm

torredcuda wrote:
Sneke_Eyez wrote:

I don't race my cars, I drive my cars, and I don't want something that is so finicky it requires me to be constantly messing with the carb.
That's the definition of something that doesn't work very well - something that requires tons of effort to make properly work on a regular basis.

My Edelbrock makes plenty of power with no problems. Power isn't everything.

It`s only the initial tuning that`s required, as long as you don`t make any other changes a Holley will never need fiddling with once it`s set. Aren`t you building a big engine for your wagon? If power isn`t everything why not keep the 318?

BULL ! Every Holley I've ever taken out of the box was waaay out of adjustment and needed messing with before the car would run right . That's "if" the vehicle started at all . Even after it's set up you can count on messing with it for as long as you own it . As for Eddy's ? I've only had two out of countless install's be out of adjustment out of the box . Any vehicle I've ever put them on weather I fine tuned them to the motor or just set them up , was once they were on you'd forget about ever having to mess with it again .

bear

Postby bear » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:02 pm

moparmike wrote:It hasn't sat much the last 8yrs.

Like I said , Then your lucky . The "only" reason why I ran a pair of Holley's back when I had my Charger was because I couldn't get Carters any more and I needed to go with bigger carbs then what I had . So I know them all to well .

Dgc333

Postby Dgc333 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:07 pm

JBear wrote:I plan on adapting the /6 harness for the V8. I replaced it about 3 years ago so the harness is 'new'. I have to check, but I think the donor drivetrain came with the V8 harness too, but it's 40 years old. Makes a good reference to use.

I did this, the slant harness works fine. Several of the wires wind up being longer than required but it works fine.
JBear wrote:Has anyone used the Summit exhaust system? Make to go with the Hooker Competition headers? Might not be ideal, bit a complete system for less than $300 including mufflers.. WOW

This is what is currently in my car along with the Summit x-pipe.

It took a lot of cutting and fitting to get it up tight to the floor. The tail pipes especially need to be cut in the middle.

For the price it can't be beat but it just won't bolt in and fit right.

I did my swap in stages and each stage was only started when I had all the parts so it could be accomplished in a day

1. Upgraded the brakes. The typical /6 9" drums are not adequate for even /6 power levels and are down right dangerous with a v8. Rebuilt the front suspension with the brake upgrade.

2. Upgraded the rear end. The /6 7.25 will not last behind anything more than stock 318 power levels. Rebuilt the rear suspension with the axle swap.

3. Upgraded the cooling system.

4. Swapped the /6 for the previously built 360.

Return to “Restoration & Repair Shop”