Engine Swap Slant 6 to small block

Post your Mopar restoration and repair questions and info here!
stroked340

Re: Engine Swap Slant 6 to small block

Postby stroked340 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:12 pm

You guys putting down the holley..do you know how to tune them??..i'll bet you don't :roll: :roll: i had a Edelbrock on one of my dusters when i bought it guess where it ended up..that right in the trash where they belong,from a performance standpoint they come no where near what you'll get out of a properly tune holley or in my case Quickfuel...

moparmike

Postby moparmike » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:16 pm

stroked340 wrote:You guys putting down the holley..do you know how to tune them??..i'll bet you don't :roll: :roll: i had a Edelbrock on one of my dusters when i bought it guess where it ended up..that right in the trash where they belong,from a performance standpoint they come no where near what you'll get out of a properly tune holley or in my case Quickfuel...

Exactly my sentiments. I've had both also and prefer the Holley for ease of tuning not to mention the edlebrock carb I had never ran right.
70 'Cuda|89 Shelby Daytona T-Top|63 Belvedere

torredcuda

Postby torredcuda » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:14 pm

Yup, Holleys are infinitely tunable but you need to know how and spend the time to do it.

Superbee500

Postby Superbee500 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:38 pm

If you don't mind the extra work the holly is a better choice.
If you just want something to adjust once and don't mind giving up some performance the Eledbrock is a good carburetor.

I've used both, most guys will tell you Demon carbs are horrible, the one on my car made considerably more horse power than the Holly I was originally going to use. :roll:

Sounds like you have a fun project to work on

Good luck with it

Kevin

JBear

Postby JBear » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:23 am

I plan on adapting the /6 harness for the V8. I replaced it about 3 years ago so the harness is 'new'. I have to check, but I think the donor drivetrain came with the V8 harness too, but it's 40 years old. Makes a good reference to use.
-Mark
1967 Dodge Dart GT Convertible, /6
-Prior Mopars: '89 Ram 100, '94 Dakota extended cab, 2000 Dakota Quad cab

JBear

Postby JBear » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:26 am

Has anyone used the Summit exhaust system? Make to go with the Hooker Competition headers? Might not be ideal, bit a complete system for less than $300 including mufflers.. WOW
-Mark
1967 Dodge Dart GT Convertible, /6
-Prior Mopars: '89 Ram 100, '94 Dakota extended cab, 2000 Dakota Quad cab

moparmike

Postby moparmike » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:08 am

I haven't myself but a couple friends have used them on their Chevys and they had no problems. You will have to cut and modify some. I run their welded flowmaster knock offs on my car and I am pleased with the quality and couldn't beat the price, and they sound awesome.
70 'Cuda|89 Shelby Daytona T-Top|63 Belvedere

Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin
Location: Dedham, but my classic Mopars are in North Brookfield, MA

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:32 pm

stroked340 wrote:You guys putting down the holley..do you know how to tune them??..i'll bet you don't :roll: :roll: i had a Edelbrock on one of my dusters when i bought it guess where it ended up..that right in the trash where they belong,from a performance standpoint they come no where near what you'll get out of a properly tune holley or in my case Quickfuel...

I don't race my cars, I drive my cars, and I don't want something that is so finicky it requires me to be constantly messing with the carb.
That's the definition of something that doesn't work very well - something that requires tons of effort to make properly work on a regular basis.

My Edelbrock makes plenty of power with no problems. Power isn't everything.
Ryan - Northeast Mighty Mopar Site Administrator
1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon | 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 Coupe | 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger
2002 Intrepid ES | 2004 300M Special | 2001 Concorde LXi

stroked340

Postby stroked340 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:13 pm

Sneke_Eyez wrote:

I don't race my cars, I drive my cars, and I don't want something that is so finicky it requires me to be constantly messing with the carb.
That's the definition of something that doesn't work very well - something that requires tons of effort to make properly work on a regular basis.

My Edelbrock makes plenty of power with no problems. Power isn't everything.

Sorry if you can't tune a Holley..but i very rarely if at all have to mess with it and i drive my car on the street also..by the way power is everything in this hobby :) :)

FFEMTC

Postby FFEMTC » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:29 pm

Sad to see another slant-6 get ripped out. You can get a lot of power out of them with just a little work. There are lots of tricks that cost nothing, to nearly nothing.

Return to “Restoration & Repair Shop”