Engine Swap Slant 6 to small block

Post your Mopar restoration and repair questions and info here!
JBear

Engine Swap Slant 6 to small block

Postby JBear » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:03 pm

So I have talking about this for a few years, and now its time. I will be taking the slant 6 out of the Dart and putting in a 318. I'm going to need YOUR help!

I have a 318 drive train from a 1974 Dart, engine to rear end. I have a re-manufactured 318 with about 3,000 miles on it (this will be the engine that I will use.)

I have removed the heads to port and polish them (first time I've done this myself)

what gasket set do you like? (felpro?)
schumacher engine mounts
edelbrock intake and carb
HP340 cam or equivalent (open to suggestions)
headers (please tell me which ones you like, and will I need a mini starter?)
aluminum radiator
electric fan

I look forward to your feedback and suggestions.
-Mark
1967 Dodge Dart GT Convertible, /6
-Prior Mopars: '89 Ram 100, '94 Dakota extended cab, 2000 Dakota Quad cab

moparmike

Re: Engine Swap Slant 6 to small block

Postby moparmike » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:01 am

Sounds like some fun! FelPro gaskets are just fine, Victor Reins are good too but I like FelPro. Mopar brand head gaskets are good. The HP340 cam will be fine, even the comp cam 270* duration .470 lift cam would be a nice cam and it will have good drivability. I wouldn't go any bigger than this as it will sacrifice drivability. The 318's don't make a lot of power even with mods but you're on the right track. I would go with hooker headers or some TTI's. I bought some cheap blackjack headers for my dart years ago and they fit like crap, had to hammer some dents in them and they hung down to low. The hooker competition ones I bought fit awesome and didn't hang low. The edlebrock intake is good but stay away from their carbs, buy a Holley 600 and it should be ready to out of the box, just adjust the idle mixture. The aluminum radiator is ok but there really isn't a need to go electric fan unless you really want to. A clutch fan will cool the engine fine if you run a 180* thermostat and buy a 2-3 core radiator. A tip on the porting, most of your gains will be in the bowl area and don't touch the floor of the port except to blend in the valve job. Be sure to gasket match the intake too and blend it up into the runners of the intake. All in all sounds like you're on the right trac, have fun!
70 'Cuda|89 Shelby Daytona T-Top|63 Belvedere

torredcuda

Postby torredcuda » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:35 pm

I agree with not getting cheap headers as any design that hangs below the center link will smash flat the first big bump you hit. Get either Hooker SUPER Comps ,TTIs or similar as I believe the regular Competition headers go below the center link. You don`t need a mini starter as I have always used the factory ones but they don`t last that long due to the heat so I may switch to the mini style soon.

jasoncase52

Postby jasoncase52 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:49 pm

Hi guys. I'm a huge car nut. But I'm from haverhill mass. I have I now you'll laugh since this for Mopar. But I have a 98 beetle it's slightly customized right now. So I'm looking to join a car club somewhere around me.

Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin
Location: Dedham, but my classic Mopars are in North Brookfield, MA

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:32 pm

moparmike wrote:Sounds like some fun! FelPro gaskets are just fine, Victor Reins are good too but I like FelPro. Mopar brand head gaskets are good. The HP340 cam will be fine, even the comp cam 270* duration .470 lift cam would be a nice cam and it will have good drivability. I wouldn't go any bigger than this as it will sacrifice drivability. The 318's don't make a lot of power even with mods but you're on the right track. I would go with hooker headers or some TTI's. I bought some cheap blackjack headers for my dart years ago and they fit like crap, had to hammer some dents in them and they hung down to low. The hooker competition ones I bought fit awesome and didn't hang low. The edlebrock intake is good but stay away from their carbs, buy a Holley 600 and it should be ready to out of the box, just adjust the idle mixture. The aluminum radiator is ok but there really isn't a need to go electric fan unless you really want to. A clutch fan will cool the engine fine if you run a 180* thermostat and buy a 2-3 core radiator. A tip on the porting, most of your gains will be in the bowl area and don't touch the floor of the port except to blend in the valve job. Be sure to gasket match the intake too and blend it up into the runners of the intake. All in all sounds like you're on the right trac, have fun!

I'm with Mike except that I wouldn't touch a Holley carb with a ten foot pole.

The Edelbrock 650 on my 74 Dart was one of the best decisions my dad and I made - easy to adjust and runs great - much better than the Holley 700 that was on it.

Good luck with the swap, Mark.
I think it will improve overall drivability of the car and keep you from wanting a Chebby!
Ryan - Northeast Mighty Mopar Site Administrator
1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon | 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 Coupe | 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger
2002 Intrepid ES | 2004 300M Special | 2001 Concorde LXi

stroked340

Postby stroked340 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:37 pm

For a cam i'd go with the Comp Cam .477/.480..headers you can't go wrong with TTI'S..as for carb a Holley 600 would be perfect easy to tune and great performance..

Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin
Location: Dedham, but my classic Mopars are in North Brookfield, MA

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:46 pm

jasoncase52 wrote:Hi guys. I'm a huge car nut. But I'm from haverhill mass. I have I now you'll laugh since this for Mopar. But I have a 98 beetle it's slightly customized right now. So I'm looking to join a car club somewhere around me.

Welcome to the site, Jason.

Post a thread in the New Member Check In and say hi!
Ryan - Northeast Mighty Mopar Site Administrator
1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon | 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 Coupe | 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger
2002 Intrepid ES | 2004 300M Special | 2001 Concorde LXi

JBear

Postby JBear » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:51 am

This is great information. I will post updates and pictures as I progress with the engine prep and the swap. Please keep the information, tips and feedback coming. I am entering uncharted waters, but confident if I take my time I will have this baby running for the summer!
-Mark
1967 Dodge Dart GT Convertible, /6
-Prior Mopars: '89 Ram 100, '94 Dakota extended cab, 2000 Dakota Quad cab

bear

Postby bear » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:46 am

Sneke_Eyez wrote:
moparmike wrote:Sounds like some fun! FelPro gaskets are just fine, Victor Reins are good too but I like FelPro. Mopar brand head gaskets are good. The HP340 cam will be fine, even the comp cam 270* duration .470 lift cam would be a nice cam and it will have good drivability. I wouldn't go any bigger than this as it will sacrifice drivability. The 318's don't make a lot of power even with mods but you're on the right track. I would go with hooker headers or some TTI's. I bought some cheap blackjack headers for my dart years ago and they fit like crap, had to hammer some dents in them and they hung down to low. The hooker competition ones I bought fit awesome and didn't hang low. The edlebrock intake is good but stay away from their carbs, buy a Holley 600 and it should be ready to out of the box, just adjust the idle mixture. The aluminum radiator is ok but there really isn't a need to go electric fan unless you really want to. A clutch fan will cool the engine fine if you run a 180* thermostat and buy a 2-3 core radiator. A tip on the porting, most of your gains will be in the bowl area and don't touch the floor of the port except to blend in the valve job. Be sure to gasket match the intake too and blend it up into the runners of the intake. All in all sounds like you're on the right trac, have fun!

I'm with Mike except that I wouldn't touch a Holley carb with a ten foot pole.

The Edelbrock 650 on my 74 Dart was one of the best decisions my dad and I made - easy to adjust and runs great - much better than the Holley 700 that was on it.

Good luck with the swap, Mark.
I think it will improve overall drivability of the car and keep you from wanting a Chebby!

I'm with Ryan on carb choice . Give me an eddy over a holley any day . :D

torredcuda

Postby torredcuda » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:01 pm

I`m a Holley guy but that`s proabably just because that is what I ma familiar with rebiulding and tuning. What are you doing for wiring, do you have a v8 harness or are you jut going to cut/lengthen the one you have?

Return to “Restoration & Repair Shop”