Members' Mopars

Post anything related to Mopar vehicles here!
MassMopar Moderator

Members' Mopars

Postby 68383 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:48 pm

I thought it might be good to start a thread where members (for lack of a better term) could describe their Mopars and tell a bit about themselves.

What if we do one a day?

We can start by someone stepping up to volunteer.

Once someone posts their piece (and hopefully some pictures), they get to pick the next member to go?

How's that sound to everyone?

Who's going to be the first to step up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
68383 / Dave

Current Mopars- 69 Super Bee- 522, 4 speed, 95 Ram- 360, auto, 4wd
Prior- 68 Charger, 72 Demon, 72 & 75 Darts, 73 Challenger, 74 Scamp

Speeling mistakes do to iPhone.

ricks_RR

Re: Members' Mopars

Postby ricks_RR » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:42 am

hi 68383
thats a great idea i am on vacation this week and all the pictures are on my work computer.
well i bought my car in 2006 out of the want ad book it was down in Rochester mass it was blue and primer .when i bought the car and signing the bill of sale he hands me the build sheet and fender tag plus a little history of where the car has been .as we were talking about the car he pointed out that it was a real white road runner so i did some history on white RR and found that it was not a popular color at that time .with that being said i still wanted to paint it flat black and have fun with it .as time would have it i saw a mopar ad about a white 69 A12 RR with a phone number so i called .the lady was the owner of Malcolm motors out of Ohio and she told me that her dealership sold a lot of road runners that year but only ever saw and sold one white RR
and that being the A12 .as we talked she convenience me that the car needs to be put back to her born on color .well as the car started to get the color i was not crazy about it BUT when the strips got put on the car thats when i new i did the right thing bringing her back to her true colors .i will post before and after pictures later.
ok next ha brent i heard the story of how you found your car and it is a good one go for it . :D :D

MassMopar Moderator

Postby 68383 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:37 am

A good start, Rick!

Can't wait for the pictures (sadly- when you get back to work!).

Sounds like Brent's up, so go for it!

68383 / Dave

moparmike

Members' Mopars

Postby moparmike » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:03 pm

Ok, I guess it's my turn. It all started 26 years ago just after I graduated high school in the summer of 1990. I had a 73 Nova that I had just built the engine for but it was to much for the transmission and it was slipping bad. I was at a cross roads on what to do with the car. It needed the floors redone and a transmission rebuild. Being a kid on a modest budget and just about to go into college I decided to sell the car for something different. I had recently seen a 'Cuda in a car magazine and thought wow, what a cool looking different car (nobody liked Mopars back then). Mopars weren't the cool thing to own back then, so that was for me. I put the word out that I was looking for a 'Cuda of the 70 or 71 vintage variety. Within two weeks my friend tells me he knows where one is for sale, it was his step mothers brother in law that had it. We went to go look at it and it was stuffed in the back of a two car garage behind of all things a 69 camaro. He bought it at a city auction because the previous owner owed to much in parking tickets from parking it on the street during the winter. He purchased it for the sole purpose of selling it. It was a puke green with puke green interior. Best of all though it looked like it hadn't been messed with to much. It had the typical rear quarter rot coming through (had been repaired in the past) and the trunk floor had some perforation. Plenty of dings but it was drivable. It had the original 383 with some headers added but the coolest thing though was the pistol grip shifter on the 4-speed. At that time I had never seen anything like it and I knew I had to have the car. I couldn't even drive a stick then so I had my friend test drive the car. He told me the price of $2500 and thought that was reasonable (mopars were just starting to go up in price) unfortunately I was having trouble selling my car due to the repairs it needed so I didn't have the cash to pay. Over the next year I went to look at the car two more times to try and get the guy to agree to a trade with cash. During this time many people had come and gone to look at this car but no one bought it, presumably because it was only the base 383. Several of them I knew personally and they told me the car was to rusty but it just didn't seem that bad to me. During this time I also missed out on an original 71 340 shaker car for $1000 because I didn't have the cash on hand. Finally in May the next year I sold the Nova and couldn't get to the guys house fast enough with the cash to see if he still had the car. He still had it and we agreed on a price of $1400. It came with the original warranty paperwork signed by the original owner and tons of receipts going back to the original owner. The car was purchased from Watertown Chrysler Plymouth in South Dakota which me and the wife visited on one of our cross country excursions. Traced the car from North Dakota to Virginia to RI then to me. So like I said I couldn't even drive a standard yet so I had my friend drive the car home and then I learned how to drive the car within two weeks. It was an easy learning curve since you could let the clutch out and it would buck like hell but it wouldn't stall. I drove it for the summers as my daily driver for two years and rebuilt the engine with a purple shaft and had the trans rebuilt. I drove it to cruise nights and got laughed at because it was a mopar and because it was a little rough around the edges (I had the last laugh... Snap-on tool calendar Aug 2011). At one of the cruise nights I had some guy frantically flag me down to tell me he used to own the car in the early eighties. He said he took the heads off and did some work to it which was verified when I tore the engine down. Then began the slow process of stripping the body work down. I drove it for the next few years in various stages of primer. I started working at a local restoration shop and that's where I learned how to weld and paint. I had the shop owner put the trunk floor in and the quarters on. It took seven more years to gather all the parts and knowledge to complete the car. I did all the body work and the remainder of the welding that needed to be done myself. I tried my hand at painting it because I have painted several cars before but it came out terrible so I had a friend that does paint do the paint over. It is about 80% NOS or restored original parts with some aftermarket sprinkled in there. So that brings us to today 30k miles later and 13k since the finish 9yrs ago. It's not everybody's cup of tea but it's my cup of tea and I built it exactly how I envisioned it 25yrs ago. The hood, color of the paint, and color of the interior have been changed from original but it still retains it's NOM drivetrain. At a cruise night I ran into the same guy that flagged me down 20yrs earlier, this time the car was done and looked different from when he saw it last time but he knew it was the same car. He told me he had the original build sheet to my car if I was interested in it, it sounded like he implied that he wanted cash for it. I wasn't interested in paying for something that in my opinion should be with the car. So as the years go by the urge to drive it dwindles even though I just took it on a tour of NH and ME for a 12-1500mi round trip. I get the urge for something different and new think about selling it now and then but once it's gone... it's gone. Still my longest relationship, lol. Sorry for the poor grammar and long winded story but figured you guys needed something to read.ImageImage
70 'Cuda|89 Shelby Daytona T-Top|63 Belvedere

MassMopar Moderator

Postby 68383 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:02 am

Good story, Mike. Who do you nominate to go next?

68383 / Dave

dge467

Postby dge467 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:15 am

Great story and awesome Cuda!!!

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:25 am

I nominate 68383. I'm still looking forward to seeing the car in person.

moparmike

Postby moparmike » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:25 am

I nominate 68383. I'm still looking forward to seeing the car in person.
70 'Cuda|89 Shelby Daytona T-Top|63 Belvedere

ricks_RR

Postby ricks_RR » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:50 am

awesome story and a beautiful car

Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin
Location: Dedham, but my classic Mopars are in North Brookfield, MA

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:44 am

Great story, Mike!

I, too, want to hear Dave's story of his Bee.
Maybe it'll make him pull it out and get that rear main fixed.
Ryan - Northeast Mighty Mopar Site Administrator
1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon | 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 Coupe | 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger
2002 Intrepid ES | 2004 300M Special | 2001 Concorde LXi

Return to “Mopar Car Talk”