Need advice, Craigslist rip off

Post anything related to Mopar vehicles here!
meangene83

Re: Need advice, Craigslist rip off

Postby meangene83 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:18 pm

Thank you for all the advice. I know what you are saying about craigslist, I have lived and learned. I guess the allure of craigslist is that, in the classic car world you really can't just walk into any shop and find what you are looking for, so naturally you head to the internet.

Also, I do not need a PI to find him. I know exactly where this guy is, I have his address. His phone rings and answering machine picks up because he screens my call on caller id. He is flat out ignoring me.
I don't deem it wise to just roll up on him and ring his doorbell at this point.

The call was made to the Police in his area. They advised me to come in and fill out a police report, at which point they would go talk to him. That will happen this week.

I hear what you guys are saying about the cash... it is definitely GONE. It kills me that he has my Holley 650 double pumper? and Edelbrock performer intake. There are also a handful of other parts as well.

Bottom line, I do not like feeling like he got away with it. Justice needs to be served, and I intend on seeing this to its conclusion.

MassMopar Moderator

Postby 68383 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:29 pm

Kevin's right on the court thing. The clown I was dealing with didn't even have respect for the court. He failed to appear so I won by default. Now it's my burden to find the guy and collect.

Hooray, America. The good guy loses again!

Speeling mistakes do too iPhone
68383 / Dave

Current Mopars- 69 Super Bee- 522, 4 speed, 95 Ram- 360, auto, 4wd
Prior- 68 Charger, 72 Demon, 72 & 75 Darts, 73 Challenger, 74 Scamp

Speeling mistakes do to iPhone.

meangene83

Postby meangene83 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:17 pm

Quick update.

Last Tuesday I met with Police in Merrimack NH.
Showed them my paper trail, explained the story.
The officer was very helpful and attempted to call the individual on the spot.
Left several messages and no return call, he explained to me as long as he is in Merrimack he will find him.

As for what he could charge the perp with. The officer explained if I could show he has since sold my parts that I provided, that would prove there was zero intention of finishing the motor (per our agreement). And also the act of selling my property itself was a chargeable offense with possible jail time.

This weekend the officer was back on Duty and was going to attempt to contact this person.

I doubt I will hear anything, and doubt I will see my parts, much less my money paid.

The whole thing is completely upsetting and disappointing.

If someone where so inclined, they could read my previous posts about an engine builder and possibly see the persons name. If they were curious...

I still intend on pursuing this to its finality.

In positive news! I have been having massive idle/carb issues.
Tore it down and cleaned its guts with cleaner and compressed air.
Put it back on, and now it runs like a champ!!
(Been battling this issue for a month now)

Happy 4th weekend everyone.

FFEMTC

Postby FFEMTC » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:29 pm

I looked back through your posts to see the guy's name, and then Googled it. Is this your man? From 2 years ago:

"John Hardy, 51, of 19 Hillcrest Drive, Merrimack. He was charged with forging an inspection sticker. Police say they noticed a Dodge Ram travelling south on Daniel Webster Highway on Sunday morning just before 11 a.m. that appeared to have a fake inspection sticker. Hardy, the operator of the truck, allegedly admitted to manufacturing the sticker. Hardy was released on $500 personal recognizance bail and ordered to appear in Merrimack's district court on Feb. 26 to answer to the charge."

http://patch.com/new-hampshire/merrimac ... on-charges

meangene83

Postby meangene83 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:33 pm

That is the man.

That is a weird thing to get in trouble for?! Not surprising after my dealings with him, obviously he is a scam artist.

At this point my story has a happy ending somewhat. I stuck to my guns and I got what I had hoped. A resolution!

The ending to the story goes, the police officer finally got a hold of him and explained to me he would be giving me a call to arrange for pickup of my parts. The officer also went on to explain John was contesting the $500 that I was owed.

I didn't hold my breathe while waiting for the call...

But the call came at 4:30am. When he knew I wouldn't be awake to answer it. Coward.
The message went on to explain he would leave a box in the driveway for me to pickup during the day. (while he was at work, so he could dodge me)
The message also went on to say that he had 60 hours into the engine, and $439 is receipts for the engine. (convenient amount of receipts, especially since he owed me $500) Then he started to belly ache, that he didn't have a finished engine to sell, and how that hurts his situation.
Bottom line is, whatever time and money he put in, will be recouped when he sells the engine. So don't act like you are hard up! He had been working on it before he met me, and would have continued without me.
In the end he got my $500 cash money, $300 worth of new parts, 200-300 worth of OLD parts (still in his possession, "keeping them because they are already on the engine")... So you tell me who is hard up!? I got the raw end, and this is probably the third time of having dealt with scam artists, liars or buffoons. I am not stupid, and I am a very decent judge of character and I knew my inexperience with Classic cars was a weak point of mine... But I still managed to pick a few winners along the way. And that Sucked.

anyway back to the story... I am fired up in case you can't tell.

I drove up that day around lunchtime, I am self employed so finding the time isn't easy... But it is manageable for me.
Drove up, and there was a box with my Holley carb, edelbrock performer intake, new spark plug wires, new spark wire holders and my 383 air cleaner in it.
I inspected them and they seemed fine. I packed up, hit the road and dialed the police officer. I thanked him for his help and hard work, without it I would have never gotten anything back! I told him I considered the matter closed and left my number should he feel the need to call me back.

I also wrote a short email to John stating nothing more than, I considered our dealings concluded.

Another aside,
A set of leaf springs I purchased from him ended up not being "in great shape" and my car now drags its ass, and drags it lop sided.
Also a set of hood hinges that "would work perfect" on my 73 RR... They turned out to be completely unusable.
Both of these transactions happened at the beginning. (Before any engine work talk) I only recently attempted to install them on the car finding out they were in fact, crap.

In closing, the Classic car world seems to be full of self proclaimed experts. Mechanics, repair shops and garage guru's all say they know what they are doing. They don't. The fact is, there seems to be very few Real Businesses that handle working on old cars in a true way.
It wasn't until I found my Restoration shop that I began to see the light and the differences between repairing a car and restoring it.

Rant over.

I am glad I got the parts back, especially the Edelbrock performer intake... Just put it on my 400 Engine. Amazed me the weight difference between that and the old Cast Iron intake! Wow talk about Boat Anchor!

MassMopar Moderator

Postby 68383 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:33 pm

Good for you! Probably ended better than could be expected.

Speeling mistakes do too iPhone
68383 / Dave

Current Mopars- 69 Super Bee- 522, 4 speed, 95 Ram- 360, auto, 4wd
Prior- 68 Charger, 72 Demon, 72 & 75 Darts, 73 Challenger, 74 Scamp

Speeling mistakes do to iPhone.

torredcuda

Postby torredcuda » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:39 am

At least you got something back out of it, I`ll be sure not to deal with that guy ever!

Superbee500

Postby Superbee500 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:59 pm

Glad you at least got your parts back, don't let this bring you down.
unfortunately there are a lot of scum bags out there.

Kevin

Return to “Mopar Car Talk”